Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Last week in March

Was the last of the winter and the first week of waking up to daylight. Hoorah to that. The days went real fast as well. One minute it was Monday and it was light and the next it was Thursday at about 11:45 in the morning.

In between time I wrote and posted my review of Lee Child’s latest Jack Reacher offering, 61 Hours. It was one of the best. I also posted my review of the very violent but enjoyable Punisher War Zone DVD. I started reading Assaf Gavron’s CrocAttack, which is a darkly funny look at the Israel, Palestinian conflict. It took me practically the rest of the week to read.

During the week I posted my review of the hugely endearing and wonderful Leaving the World by Douglas Kennedy, and then Speaking Your mind. A software product that combines Dragon Naturally speaking with MindGenius, a thought mapping tool I loved and continue to use. I also reviewed the Orabrush which is a tool for resolving bad breath. It was not given to me as an anonymous gift, honest.

Then it was Thursday and it was 11:46 and one of the Salanderites rang. The 27 year old Brazilian female one and not the bespectacled male English one. ‘Would you like to go somewhere to eat a burger with me John, we can talk about Jack Reacher’

‘Oh go on then.’ I said.

Friday I finished CrocAttack and would recommend you read it immediately (after reading my review). You will laugh and laugh and not know whether you should also be crying.

Friday night I watched Twilight: New Moon. It looked prettier than the first, whatsisface looked buff but, it was utter rubbish. I really liked the first one. Of course if all you want to do is scream and look at buff then it was probably brilliant.

Saturday I started writing my next book called Handyman. The first chapter is an extension of the New Dawn short story I posted last September. But with lots more in it. It has proven to be remarkably easy to find people that have no interest in publishing my last book.  A lot of authors are producing two books this year and publishers are not taking on new authors. Undaunted I am going to keep writing books in the expectation times will change. Writing a book is not easy and often very hard, especially when you write to be read and nobody is reading what you write. But it is also huge fun as you create characters that live and breath in your mind. Especially this new one and his wife.

Saturday I finally managed to pick up my new Vodafone SIM after they did not deliver to my house, failed to leave a card telling me they had tried and then left the SIM at the small tatty post office the furthest side of Hambury from me and not the big main one that is just down the road. The small tatty post office was full of people queuing because the Indian guy that served only managed to serve one person in the half hour I was there, inbetween handfuls of Bombay Mix that was also scattered all over the counter. I kid you not. Eventually his wife who had been scuttling about opened the other hatch and increased the turnover as they were about to close.

Despite having the original letter from Vodafone with my address on it she maintained I had the wrong address until I pointed out to her the address she was reading was the return address. Grrrrrr.

Sunday I woke up and the time and Springed forward. I wrote more and watched the Dancing On Ice final with Prideesh. We sat on the floor despite owning a very expensive leather sofa.

When I woke up the next day it was Monday again and despite the clock saying it was 6:15 it felt like 5:15. The rabbits managed to escape upstairs by one of them biting the bottom of the dining room door and pulling it ajar while the other one pawed and squeezed through the gap. Which of course I only realised as I stirred my porridge and thought to myself, ‘That’s weird, that sounds like rabbits running around upstairs.’

No comments:

Post a Comment